Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Creamy Potato Soup

This is probably one of my best loved hand me downs.  This recipe was given to me by a wonderful doctor, friend and co-worker.  I have played around with it over time, and always go back to the original chicken scratched one from a piece of office paper.  I transfer all my recipes to index cards for my box, except those from family and dear friends.  For some reason it just doesn't feel right to toss them out. My belly and those of others will be forever grateful to him.  Thank you Dr. Macnab.

5 large red pototoes (peeled/ diced)
1 medium yellow Vidalia sweet onion (diced)
3 stalks celery (sliced)
1 8 oz. brick of cream cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 cups milk
2 cups water
2 tbs. real butter
Cooked crumbled bacon and shredded cheddar cheese for garnish


-In a large stockpot, over medium heat, cook the potatoes, onions and celery in 2 cups of water; covered until done (about 20 minutes-you want them to be soft, but not falling apart). Add in cream cheese and butter; stir until melted.  Then, in a large bowl, mix together milk, soups and garlic.  Slowly pour this into your stockpot.  Cover and simmer for at least 15 min's.  Top with bacon and cheese.  Serves 4-6.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This soup is so velvety and smooth. I'd rank it right up to my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know you can create short urls with Shortest and get $$$$$ for every visit to your shortened links.

    ReplyDelete