Sunday, December 12, 2010

Slow-Cooker Dilly Beef Sandwiches

Here's a different twist on a family favorite.  This beef sandwich is definitely different than any one that you have had before.  I'd have to say that pickles and their brine are what gives this sandwich it's own unique tangy kick.  Paired with a soft doughy egg roll from your local market, this sandwich is amazing.  I have made this one many of times with many different beef roasts and I do believe that the sirloin roast is the best.  The meat is soft, tender and literally bursting with flavor.  I have yet to serve this without rave reviews.

1 3lb beef sirloin roast
1-2 T bacon grease
1 jar chili sauce
1 medium jar dill pickle slices (undrained)
12 egg dinner rolls

-Add bacon grease to a deep stock pot/ dutch oven over a high flame.  Once grease is brought back to liquid, add in roast.  Sear each side to develop a nice brown crust.  Remove roast from pan and toss into a slow-cooker. Pour entire jar of pickles with juice and chili sauce over roast.  Cover and set on High for 6-8 hours (the longer the better).  Using two large forks, shred roast in crock.  Cut a pocket slit in the side of each roll (so you don't lose your meat out of your bun-I hate that!) and stuff with meat and pickle bits.  Serves 6-8.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried to make this without browning the roast? I am feeling lazy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes I have-and it is still awesome ;) sometimes I am lazy too ;)

    ReplyDelete