Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Artichoke Melts

Let me be the one to tell you that these little toast's are a crowd pleaser.  Well, at least all the drunken ladies on Bunco Night loved them each and every time I walked in with them.  They have become my ultimate stand-by appetizer to bring to any occasion.  They are simple, fast and very inexpensive to make.  And on top of all of that, they are addicting.  Most people don't even know what they're made from just that they love them.  And when I tell them that they are eating artichoke hearts, well they usually give me a surprised look.  Followed then by a wow and a smile as they grab for another.

12 slices of white sandwich bread
1 can of artichoke hearts (drained/ chopped)
1/4 cup of real mayonnaise
3/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
1 clove of garlic (minced)
fresh or dried parsley for garnish

-Preheat oven to 350*.  Cut the edges off of the bread and then quarter each slice to make four small squares.  Place small squares on a baking sheet (I use a stone one).  Combine the artichoke hearts, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese and garlic in a small bowl.  Using a 1/2 tsp. measuring spoon, top each bread square with a rounded spoonful.  Bake for 25-30 minutes.  Remove from oven and immediately garnish with parsley (it doesn't stick as good to them if they're cooled off when you add it).  Serves many.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Do you use artichoke hearts in water or in oil? Also, what size is the can you use? I have seen them in multiple sizes at my grocer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helena- very true about the multiple sizes. either use 2 small cans (drained) or 1 large can (drained. And I do believe that they were in water. Same way I buy my tuna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I will be making these for our baby gender reveal party in a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) Great! They will go over fantastic at a party. Watch how many people will love them and have no idea what they are! I laugh everytime :)

    ReplyDelete