Sunday, March 20, 2011

Cole Slaw Burgers

As if it were yesterday, I can still remember the first time I had this burger.  My Grandma Neva (my kitchen hero) had already prepared the burgers and set them out on the table as usual.  I was probably around 10 or so at this time.  So, you can imagine my reaction being slightly more dramatic than necessary.  Nevertheless I was skipping in for dinner, as usual.  I came gallivanting into the dining room and excitedly flopped into my seat.  Smiling I picked up my burger and as I was about to "go to town" on it, I spied something different.  Something was not right.  Something was terribly wrong.  For some reason, my Grandma probably being too busy and not paying attention, put Cole Slaw on my burger!  I was more than upset.  I was appalled.  I could not eat this.  I would not eat this.  And I am pretty sure that I cried.  I had never really had Cole Slaw before, but I was adamant that I did not like it.  And I was positive that it did not belong on my burger.  My Grandma calmly looked at me and stated, "That's dinner Tonya.  That's how I made it.  And that's how you are gonna eat it."  Reluctantly I took a bite.  Then another.  Then another.  Holy shit, Cole Slaw belongs on burgers!


1 1/2 lbs. of 80/20 ground beef
sea salt/ fresh cracked pepper
4 slices of American cheese
1 small red onion (sliced thinly) (I only had a yellow one, but I normally use the red ones')
sliced dill pickles
yellow mustard
wheat kaiser rolls

-Preheat grill.  Add in some salt/ pepper to the ground beef and knead well.  Divide into 4 equal sized balls and form large flat patties (they're gonna shrink and  thicken up while cooking).  Toss on the grill over medium-high heat and cook to your desired temperature.  Remember that meat will continue to internally cook itself until it is cut, so always pull it off the grill slightly before the temperature you like.  Place a patty on a wheat roll and top with a slice of cheese, a scoop of Cole Slaw, a few onion rings, a couple of pickles and a squirt of mustard.  Serves 4.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment