Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Egg Salad

I learned how to make egg salad years ago from a cashier at our local market.  I was buying eggs to make it and realized as I was checking out, that I really had no idea what was in it. She was much older than I, and I am sure that she thought that I was teasing her when I asked her how she made egg salad.  But, she just shrugged her shoulders and said it's just eggs, mayo, mustard, pepper and some celery salt.  The celery salt was the key to it. She said that it was meant to be kept simple.  Simple ingredients and simple directions.  I have found that most of my regular cooking comes from "passed-on" recipes.    

4 hard-boiled eggs
3 T. of real mayonnaise (more or less to taste)
2 tsp. of yellow mustard
1/4 tsp. of celery salt
1/2 a stalk of celery (sliced thinly)
fresh cracked pepper

-Cut eggs in half to remove the yolks.  Using a fork, break the yolks up in a small bowl.  Mix in the mayo, mustard and celery salt.  Chop up egg whites and fold them and the celery in.  Sprinkle with pepper and serve on wheat bread or crackers with lettuce.  Makes about 2 cups.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment