Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Chicken Ceasar Salad

This is one of my most favorite salads.  I used to whip this one up for myself while I was waitressing my way through school.  We always had a huge assortment of salad fixings at the restaurant and that was one thing we could eat endlessly for free.  Not being much of a salad eater at the time, I started experimenting.  After playing around with all sort of different ingredients, I settled on this very concoction.  And I have been making it this way still all these years later.  Nowadays I make this for dinner for my family.    

2 large boneless/ skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup of e.v.o.
zest/ juice from 1 lemon
1 tsp. of dried basil
sea salt/ fresh cracked pepper
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
2 heads of Romaine lettuce (chopped)
1 small red onion (sliced then halved)
1/2 of a carton of whole mushrooms (washed, sliced)
1 1/2 cups of frozen peas
1 cup or more of Ceasar salad dressing
1/2 a cup of shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 a cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
croutons

-Preheat grill to medium heat.  Combine e.v.o., lemon juice, lemon zest, basil, a little salt/ pepper and the garlic in a small bowl.  Toss the chicken onto the top rack and grill about 15 minutes on each side (or until there is no pink left inside), all the while brushing with the oil mixture.  Plate the chicken and set to the side to cool (if you slice it now, all the juices will run out).  Meanwhile for the peas, place them in a small bowl with 1 T. of water; cover with a paper towel and microwave for about 2-4 minutes.  Once the chicken has cooled down you can begin to slice it thinly across the grain so you can finally start to assemble the salad.  Throw the sliced chicken, lettuce, onions, mushrooms, Ceasar dressing and Parmesan cheese into a large mixing bowl and stir well to coat evenly.  Arrange onto 4 plates and top with a scoop of peas, a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese and a handful of croutons.  Serves 4.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment