Thursday, April 28, 2011

What I Think Snickerdoodle Cookies Should Be

This is what I envisioned for a Snickerdoodle Cookie.  I assumed that they consisted of chocolate, caramel and either pretzels or some peanuts, on what basis I have no idea.   That's just the way I played it out in my mind, having never had nor seen one.  Well, I was surprised when I looked up an actual recipe for one and found that I was dead wrong.  That the cookies did not consist of any of these things.  So, I decided to make it as I had imagined them, because truth be told the real ones sounded and looked unappealing to me.  I imagined some thick and moist cookie bars with huge clumps of chocolate pieces, crunchy salty little bits of pretzels and ooey gooey caramel threaded throughout.  I think that's what a Snickerdoodle Cookie should be. 

2 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
1 tsp. of baking soda
1 tsp. of baking powder
1 tsp. of salt
1 cup of melted butter
3/4 cup of sugar
3/4 cup of light brown sugar
1 tsp. of real vanilla extract
2 Large eggs (at room temperature)
1 3/4 cups of chocolate chunks
1 cup of broken pretzel sticks (nice and tiny)
2 tsp. of caramel sauce (warmed up to drizzle)

-Preheat oven to 375*.  Stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a small mixing bowl.  In a large mixing bowl beat together the butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract.  Once creamy, beat in eggs 1 at a time (making sure to thoroughly combine before adding the next).  Stir in the flour mixture in small batches (making sure to completely mix it in before adding more). Then just stir in the chocolate chunks and broken pretzels.  Grease the sides and the bottom of a 9x13" baking dish and spread the dough out evenly in it.  Drizzle lightly with the caramel and bake for 25-30 minutes.  Makes about 3 dozen bars.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment