Sunday, May 8, 2011

Coconut-Vanilla French Toast

The inspiration for this came while I was at the market.  I passed a table display with just one lone loaf of thick white Texas bread left sitting on it.  And I betcha what, there was most likely symphony music playing and a white light beaming from me, because I was immediately inspired to concoct a french toast recipe for dinner that night.  I am a french toast junkie to the extreme.  In fact that is my all-time go-to order whenever I get a chance to go for breakfast.  It's my favorite.


1 loaf of Texas cut white bread
12 eggs (beaten well)
4 T. of milk
2/3 cup of shredded coconut
1 1/2 tsp. of real vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. of ground cinnamon'
1 tsp. of sugar

-Preheat griddle to medium and grease with butter (I used bacon grease-I store it in an old pickle jar).  Meanwhile in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk , coconut, vanilla, cinnamon and sugar.  Using a fork, dip the bread and flip it to coat both sides well (let it drain off a little before you toss them on).  Place on the griddle for just a few minutes on each side (you want a deep golden coloring).  Make sure to lightly re-grease the griddle again before each new batch.  This will keep giving you that slight crispy exterior and keep adding all kinds of flavor.  Serve with a slather of butter and syrup.  Makes a lot.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment