Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Lemon-Basil Salmon

I grew up thinking that Orange Roughy was the only fish that you ate.  And that baking it with butter, although not bad, was the only way it could be prepared .  I thought fish was over rated and so extremely boring.  That is, until I was introduced to salmon.  I am absolutely positively in love with salmon.  I make it all the time.  And I never bake it or use butter on it.  I grill it, I broil it, I BBQ it, I do everything possible to it other than baking it with butter.

1 1/2 lbs. of fresh salmon (sliced into 4 equal pieces)
zest and juice from 1 lemon
4 T. of extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. of dried crushed basil (fresh herbs will burn on the grill)
sea salt/ fresh cracked pepper
1 large garlic clove (minced)
garnish with flat-leaf Italian parsley (snipped)

-Preheat the grill to a medium-high heat.  Create a make-shift pan out of aluminum foil for your salmon (remember to fold the edges up so the juices don't run off).  Smear about a tsp. or so of e.v.o. all over the foil (or else it's gonna stick bad) and place your salmon cuts scale-side down (don't bother removing-it will separate from fish once grilled); set aside.  In a small bowl combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, e.v.o., basil, salt, pepper and garlic.  Brush onto salmon and place foil pan and salmon onto the top rack of the grill.  Cook for 8-10 minutes (salmon is done once it flakes apart).  Garnish with more parsley and lemon slices.  Serves 4.  Enjoy!http://www.youtube.com/user/JustCookingAway?feature=mhum

2 comments:

  1. Oh that looks good! I have some salmon that I was trying to decide what I wanted to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good! One of my most favorite ways to do it :)

    ReplyDelete