Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Slow-Cooker Marinara Sauce with Italian Sausage

This is one of my favorite ways to do spaghetti.  I think that it deepens the flavors and creates a much richer sauce by having it cooking away all day long.  I am always and forever looking for things to make in my slow-cookers.  It helps me out in a big way at dinner time.  Since I have the main part already prepared and ready to go, then I don't feel so overwhelmed and hectic in the kitchen.  I like to do my main cooking early in the day when the kids are at school or playing well around me.  It's usually crunch time to get the dinner prepared and on the table before my little guy, Parker, goes ballistic. He's tired when he's tired and he is hungry when he's hungry.  And, when he is tired and hungry it is hard to make him wait.  Usually impossible.  

6 mild Italian sausage's
1 green sweet pepper (roasted/ chopped)
1 small yellow onion (roasted/ chopped)
1- 26oz. jar of marinara sauce (I used Prego)
1- 14 1/2oz. can of stewed Italian tomatoes (un-drained)
1 tsp. of Italian seasoning
1 lb. of uncooked spaghetti
e.v.o.

-In a medium sauce pan, boil sausage for 10 minutes to take out some of the grease.  Remove from pan with tongs and place in slow-cooker along with the peppers, onions, marinara sauce, tomatoes and seasoning.  Set it to go slow and Low for 8-10 hours or on High for 4-6 hours (low makes it better).  Once the marinara and sausage is done, go ahead and start a large saucepan or stockpot to boil.  Once it begins to boil, add in about a 1-2 tsp. of e.v.o. (flavors the pasta and keeps it from sticking).  Do not salt the water (normally I would too), because the Italian sausage can be on the salty side occasionally, so if you salt your pasta water and have salty sausage, it will not be good.  Trust me we know.  Then add in your pasta and boil for 7-8 minutes for Au' dente' (remember it will continue to cook once the sauce is on it).  Serves 6.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment