Thursday, June 9, 2011

Scratch-Made Tartar Sauce

There are certain things that I just will not purchase from the store.  And tartar sauce is one of them.  I like my tartar to be light and bright and the only way to achieve that is to make it fresh as needed.  I always have the ingredients for it on hand, so whenever we have a fresh fish fry, which is often in the summer due to my fishing/ hunting obsessed husband Rich, I can just whip some up.  Remember though, that miracle whip is never ever a substitute for mayonnaise when you are making dips, sauces or dressings.  Believe me, real mayo is necessary.


1/2 cup of real mayonnaise
2 T. of dill relish
1 T. of fresh lemon juice

-Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl.  Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate until ready to use with fish.  Makes about a cup.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I agree. Dill makes much better tarter sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steven- It sure does :) I am not a fan of sweet pickles/ relish what-so-ever.

    ReplyDelete