Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Dutch Coffee Cake

I made this coffee cake this morning as a super special treat for my family.  What better way to start your day than to wake up to the aroma of brewing coffee and a coffee cake that is just about to come out of the oven?  Sounds like heaven if you ask me.  And that was pretty much the way it seemed that it was to my smiling husband and my excited children.  And in return, I don't think that I could receive a greater reward for the start of my day. 

2 cups of all-purpose flour
2 tsp. of baking powder
a dash of salt
1/2 cup of real un-salted butter (melted)
1 cup of sugar
1/2 tsp. of real vanilla extract
1 cup of milk
cinnamon and sugar for the garnish

-Preheat your oven to 350*.  Spray a small baking dish (of any shape-I used an irregular-sized medium rectangular ceramic baking dish) with a cooking spray; set aside.  In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and the salt.  In a large mixing bowl, whisk the butter and the sugar together until they are fluffy; add in the vanilla extract.  Starting with the flour mixture and ending with the flour mixture, alternate stirring in the flour mixture and the milk in small increments.  Pour this into your greased pan, sprinkle the top with some cinnamon and sugar and bake for 40 minutes (decrease the baking pan by 5 minutes if using any kind of a dark pan).  Let cool slightly before cutting.  Serves 6.  Enjoy!

2 comments: