Saturday, November 26, 2011

Sweet Potato Pie

I am a huge fan of pumpkin pies, well frankly pumpkin anything, but especially pumpkin pies.  And I would have to say, without discrediting my love for pumpkin pies, that sweet potato pie may be just as good.  Definitely my runner up if I had to list them.  It really does look and taste very much like my all-time favorite.  And basically, it is spiced just about the same.  The only real taste difference, is that traditionally sweet potato pie is a smidgen less sweeter than it's twin the pumpkin pie.  Well, well, well traditionally speaking that is, until I got a hold of it.  No surprise there that I just had to sweeten it up some.  Like I always say, sweets for the sweet.


4-5 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and diced)
1 cup of sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tsp. of ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. of ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. of ground allspice
a dash of salt
3 eggs (beaten)
1 pie shell from my Tonya's Special Pie Crust recipe:  http://tonya-justcooking.blogspot.com/2010/11/tonyas-special-pie-crust.html
a bit of milk and a pinch of sugar to garnish the pie crust with prior to baking

-Preheat your oven to 375*.  Boil the sweet potatoes with enough water to cover them in a large stockpot; covered with a lid for 30 minutes.  Strain well and transfer to a medium mixing bowl.  Mash well with a potato masher.  Then just mix in the sweetened condensed milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt and the eggs.  Pour this into your prepared pie crust that is in a 9 1/2" pie dish (I only use Pyrex for my pie dish's).  Crimp the excess pie crust around the top with your fingers, brush lightly with some milk and then lightly sprinkle it with sugar.  You will need to either use a pie crust cover if you have one, or if you don't like me, you can just make one.  Take a 10"x10" square of aluminum foil, fold it in half and then in half again.  Using your kitchen shears, cut a circle out of the center, so that when you open it up and place it flat over the pie, the edges are covered by the foil, but the center of the pie is open.  Bake it like this for 25 minutes, then remove the foil and finish baking for 10 minutes more.  Let stand to cool completely, cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours prior to cutting and serving (or else it will not be firm).  Serve with a dollop of cool whip or some vanilla bean ice cream.  Serves 8.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Do you have a good reciepe for rice pudding?????? Im sure I would love something that you might have.....:))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes I do :) use the search engine at the top of the left-side margin to find it :)

    ReplyDelete