Sunday, January 29, 2012

Slow-Cooker Creamed Corn

I owe the inspiration for this one to my oldest and very best friend, my cousin Nikki.  She called a few days before Thanksgiving this year, we are faithful daily coffee chatters in the morning on the phone, to tell me about her amazing pre-Thanksgiving dinner, only to rant and rave about one particular dish.  A corn dish made with cream cheese she said.  See, she had gone to her boyfriends parents home for her first Thanksgiving dinner with his family, and so she got to experience their traditional holiday feast for the first time.  And boy, you never would have known that there was anything else served besides this corn side that she was going on and on about.  Because that was all she talked about.  I automatically assumed that she was talking about the corn bread casserole that our family, including myself, notoriously are known for on our holiday spreads.  And she was like oh no no no, Tonya.  This one was different.  It was done in a crock pot and it was creamy.  And by the time she was explaining that she would contact his Mother to get the recipe for me, I had already googled up about 20 different versions.  Because, of course, she had me at cream cheese.

2- 16oz. bags of frozen yellow sweet corn
1/2 cup of real un-salted butter
1- 8oz. brick of cream cheese (I only use Philadelphia)
1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
1/4 tsp. of ground white pepper
2-3 tsp. of sugar
a healthy amount of sea salt

-Toss the corn into your slow-cooker.  Using a medium-sized saucepan, over a low-medium heat, melt the butter and the cream cheese.  Whisk in the heavy cream, white pepper, salt and sugar.  Once it is thick and smooth, remove from the flame and pour into your slow-cooker with the frozen corn; stir well.  Set to go on HI for 1 hour, then reduce to LOW for 4 hours or so more.  Serves 8.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment