Monday, February 27, 2012

Slow-Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich

Over the years I have made pulled pork, let's say, more than a hundred times.  And I have varied from recipes, to winging it by scratch, even just buying the pre-made seasoning packets (as I do use in this recipe) and they have all been good.  And if I had to pick the way that tasted the best, I would honestly have to pick the pre-made seasoning packet by McCormick.  And I am just not too happy to actually admit to it.  So, this time, I thought I would butter it up a bit to make it mine, and boy did I ever do that.  It takes a collasol mistake, as I made this time, for it to go above and beyond good.  All the way to fantastic.  In a rush, as I often am to get it started just about as early as I can, I added in the wrong ingredient.  Once I got the sauce together, it wasn't until I finger tested it, which mind you I never do- that is what I have my husband and kids for ;)  But, thank goodness I did because I would not have figured out what I did to make it so amazing.  So, I finger tested it and was shocked-  it was immensley flavorful- the kind that you know will get even better after going low and slow all day.  I stood there kind of dumb founded, not being able to place the flavor.  I thought that I had added in an extra teaspoon of paprika.  But as I picked up my spices to jig saw puzzle them back into my ridiculously small kitchen cabinet, I just so happened to turn around the one that I added- not seeing the actual label before.  And I let out a little "oh shit".  I had added a heaping teaspoon of chili powder.  I was a little freaked out, because I have seen it being made and read a zillion recipes for it and never have I seen anyone add in chili powder.  I was so scared that I was going to be taking it away from the traditional version that I was trying to create.  So, being me and second guessing myself again, I stuck my finger back into the sauce and re-tasted it.  I said to myself, apparently out loud since I caught my husbands attention, that this just may work.  Rich then noticed me muttering to myself and the worried look on my face and asked me what was wrong.  I smiled up at him from across the room and merely said, "Well, this may just be the mistake that I needed to finally make."  And I am sure that once you try this here recipe out, you will agree that it was a much needed mistake.

1- 4lb. pork butt roast
2 tsp. of smoked sea salt
fresh cracked pepper
3/4 cup of ketchup
3/4 cup of light brown sugar (packed)
1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. of honey
1 packet of McCormick's Slow Cookers BBQ Pulled Pork Seasoning
1 rounded tsp. of chili powder
egg hamburger buns (I find these in the bakery at my local market)

-Cover all sides of the roast with the smoked sea salt and a decent amount of fresh cracked pepper; place in the center of your slow-cooker.  In a small mixing bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients and pour the mixture over the top of your salt and peppered roast.  Cover with the lid and set to go Lo and slow for 8-10 hours (again as always, the lower and longer- the better with roasts).  Before serving, using two large forks, shred the roast and discard the bone.  Serve on a nice soft roll with a heaping spoonful of my cole slaw right on top of the pork.  Serves 6-8.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment