Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches

I have been drooling over the thought of this creation ever since I first saw it being made on the television.  I had never ever heard of it before and was dumb founded as to what a pimento cheese sandwich was.  The first thought that crossed my mind was that a pimento is that little red thingy in the center of green olives, which by the way I adore.  So, I actually stopped and planted my butt on my sofa and watched the chef prepare this here sandwich.  And I was more than enticed, I was captivated, motivated and I was kinda drooling out of the right side of my mouth.  Sorry, but that's the truth of it.  Literally I was instantly craving this wonderful thing, this grilled pimento cheese sandwich.  And finally, finally, after spending a few days researching different recipes for it (there are literally hundreds of variations), I settled down my options and started out on this new voyage.  And I think that I hit the nail smack on the head- not that I have anything to compare it to other than pure great tasting- but I can promise you this......if you love grilled cheese, then you are gonna be absolutely bat shit crazy about grilled pimento cheese.


1/3 cup of shredded mild cheddar cheese
2/3 cup of shredded pepper jack cheese
1 cup of shredded cheddar and Monterrey jack cheese
2 oz. of cream cheese (softened)
1/2 cup of real mayonnaise
2 oz. of jarred pimentos (un-drained)
1 pinch of ground cayenne pepper (more if you want to taste the heat)
1 tad (about 1/2 of a 1/8 tsp.) of garlic salt
fresh cracked pepper
8-10 slice's of  country whole wheat sandwich bread
a few T.'s of real butter (softened)

- In a medium mixing bowl, toss together the shredded cheese's.  Then add in the cream cheese, mayonnaise, pimentos+juice, cayenne, garlic salt and the pepper; stir well.  Preheat your griddle or frying pan up to a medium heat.  Spread one side of 1/2 of the bread slices with your butter (making sure to get all the way to the edges); place them buttered sides down on the hot griddle/ pan, spread a not too thick nor not too thin layer of the pimento cheese mixture over the bread (not going quite all the way to the edges-or else it will seep out and burn), butter 1 side of the remaining sliced bread and place them on top of the pimento cheese with the buttered side facing out.  Grill for about 2-4 minutes on each side watching so as not to over-brown them.  Plate them and allow them to cool about 2 minutes before slicing in half and serving.  serves 4-5.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment