Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Italian Grilled Cheese

Well, it is mighty cold here today.  In fact it is down right absolutely freezing cold.  And when it gets like this I am ready for some grilled cheese and tomato soup to warm up my frozen soul.  That's always what my Mom would make when we were little and it got like this outside.  It was something that I always looked forward to every winter.  Grilled cheese and tomato soup that is, not necessarily the 10* weather that instigated the meal.  So, this is my 'grown-up' version of a winter-time classic favorite of many.  Not only will it warm me up, but also it will quench some of my guilty-pleasure cravings as well.

12 spears of grilled fresh asparagus (see my recipe for it http://tonya-justcooking.blogspot.com/2011/03/grilled-asparagus.html)
1 roasted red bell pepper cut into thin strips (see my recipe for it http://tonya-justcooking.blogspot.com/2011/02/roasting-sweet-peppers.html)
8 thick slices of provolone cheese
8 slices of Italian white bread
real butter

-Heat a large skillet (I use a double burner griddle) over medium heat.  Assemble four sandwiches each with a slice of cheese, followed by 3 spears of grilled asparagus, a few slices of roasted peppers and lastly another slice of cheese on top.  Butter both the outside of the top and the bottom piece of bread well, making sure to get all the way to the edges.  Toss your sandwiches onto your hot skillet and cook just a few minutes on each side (watching carefully not to burn them, but to give them a nice dark golden browning).  Once they are done, plate them and slice them in half.  Serves 4.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment